Last July 30th the Decree-Law 592/2014, of 11 July, regulating academic internships of university students, was published.
These academic internships (we already talked about them here), that aim to allow university students to apply and complement their learning, to receive practical experience that will make it easier for them to enter the labour market, improve their future employability and to encourage entrepreneurship.
Here are a few important aspects to keep in mind:
Types of academic internships:
– Curricum-based: Consist of academic activities that are included in the education program in question.
– Extracurricular: are those that are optional during a student´s university career, and even if they have the same aims as curriculum-based internships, they are not part of the education program.
Duration and schedule:
– Curriculum-based: established by the corresponding program.
– Extracurricular: Preferably, no more than 50% of the academic year.
Schedules will be established in accordance of the colaborating company´s disponibility. An effort will be made in order to ensure the schedules are compatible with the university activities.
Educational Cooperation Agreements:
The agreements, to be established within the framework that governs
internships, must specify, at a minimum:
a) The training plan of the internship for the student.
b) The type of authorisations for which the student is eligible ccording to the legislation in force.
c) The events that would cause the internship to be cancelled ahead of time if the terms thereof are not fulfiled.
d) If applicable, rules relative to signing up and paying for accident as well as civil liability insurance or the equivalent financial guarantee.
e) The existence, if applicable, of a scholarship or study stipend for students and how it is received.
f) The protection of student data.
g) Rules regarding any conflicts that might arise during the internship.
h) The terms under which the university will recognise the work of mentors at cooperating entities.
The student should have a mentor at the cooperating entity (company) and an academic mentor at the university.
– Mentor at the cooperating entity: must be linked to the entity, have professional experience and the knowledge required for an effective mentorship.
– Academic mentor at the university:
- Curriculum-based: Should be a lecturer at the university, preferably at the same center the student is enrolled and related to the subject of the internship.
- Extracurricular: University professor that teaches in the same branch of knowledge the student is studying.
Final and and/or intermediate follow-up report.
– The mentor at the cooperating entity should fill out a follow-up report evaluating the student, both in generic and specific skills set forth in the corresponding training plan and give it to the university.
The academic aim of these internships entails the following:
- In no case shall these activities create the obligations inherent to an
employment relationship, nor may the activities replace the work performed by employees.
- If the student is incorporated to the personnel, once he/she has finished the studies, the duration of the internship wont compute for purposes of calculating seniority nor will it exempt from the probationary period unless the applicable collective bargaining agreement expressly stipulates otherwise.
- Si el estudiante se incorporara a la plantilla, una vez terminados sus estudios, el tiempo de las prácticas no se computará a efectos de antigüedad ni eximirá del período de prueba salvo que en el oportuno convenio colectivo aplicable estuviera expresamente estipulado algo distinto.
- En el ámbito de las Administraciones Públicas, no podrá tener la consideración de mérito para el acceso a la función pública ni será computada a efectos de antigüedad o reconocimiento de servicios previos.
Asimismo, recordamos que el R D.Ley 8/2014, de 4 de julio, establece una bonificación del cien por cien en la cotización a la Seguridad Social, para los participantes en la realización de prácticas curriculares externas realizadas por los estudiantes universitarios y de formación profesional, aplicable a partir del 01 de agosto de 2014. De tener esta empresa estudiantes universitarios y querer acogerse a ésta bonificación, además de comprobar que el Convenio de Cooperación Educativa se encuentre debidamente confeccionado, aconsejamos que en el mismo también se especifique la modalidad de la práctica efectuada o en su defecto si las prácticas forman o no parte integrante del Plan de Estudios.